Apricot Bites - Nude Cheap Healthy Lunchbox Food
With the pressures of lunchbox variety and our commitment to plastic free "nude food" - we are always getting the "hassle", particularly from miss 3, for more foods like her friends get.
You would think Apricot Bites are a healthy option for the lunchbox and we are not always to know what things are and are not healthy, just by appearances and assumptions.
From the supermarket - these prepacked goodies have sugar as their 2nd and 3rd ingredients (sugar and glucose syrup from corn); some brands their first! So, we experimented with this simple recipe and all three kids loved it.
Cheap, easy, healthy.
Prepare on a Sunday, get your child involved in helping and save yourself some money and them the not so helpful sugars.
Nude Apricot Bites
- Baking paper
- Baking pan - lined with baking paper
- 300g dried apricots
- 100g desiccated coconut - plus some extra for coating
- 60g dried dates
- Put all ingredients into a blender/food mixer for about 5 minutes
- Push firmly into the lined baking tray
- Place in fridge for 2 hours
- Remove from baking tray and cut into 2cm x 2cm squares
- Toss in extra coconut and store in airtight container in the fridge
These will keep in the fridge for weeks, assuming they do not go before that!